Search This Blog

Wednesday 27 July 2011

PARIS



So last year I went to PARIS! It was the trip for the first year of Uni, which is pretty damn good if you ask me (I know you didn’t...). 

The trip was mainly based around ‘Paris Photo’ where some of the best photographers exhibited their work at the Louvre, but we made some other visits such as the EIFFEL TOWER! Haha

Anyway, if you want to know more about Paris Photo I suggest this website to start with: http://www.parisphoto.fr/?lg=en

And I would definitely recommend it as a visit even just to glance at some top photography.

Anyway I’m not here to talk about Paris Photo, although that would be nice, and fairly simple.
I’m here to talk about photographing in public. I don’t know about the rest of you but I find it a hell of a time taking photographs in a public space, of public people or buildings. I’m probably one of the most tame, shy people that any of my friends or relatives will know, and being shy definitely does not help me with my piccies!

I mention Paris because it was a prime example of how difficult it was for me. I found myself watching other people in my group snapping away, popping up and down streets and round corners just whistling through the process! I started to feel so awkward and found that I was making excuses not to take a picture I wanted. – The light isn’t right – I don’t want to wait around for the people to move – I don’t want to be rude and ask to take a picture – I can probably do it tomorrow. I felt so under pressure because everybody around me was just snap, snap, snapping and I was just watching, making excuses.

Then we sat down. A brief moment past until I realised I most definitely needed to relax! I thought to myself – just do it, nobody gives a damn what you are doing, just do it. It doesn’t matter what anybody thinks, just do it! Well there’s nothing quite like a bit of self motivation but hey, I kept telling myself that and after a short while – my camera had joined the choir of snaps!

Ahhh... beautiful story aye? Ok well it’s not, but its things like these that can prevent any kind of artist from doing what they really want and it’s probably a lot more common than I think. I’ve been in many situations since, where I’ve had to give myself the ‘motivation speech’ but there is probably a better way.... haha! 

Anyway you’ve read the story here’s a few from PARIS!


1 comment:

  1. An interesting read, tells alot about you as a person as well as a photographer.

    ReplyDelete