Search This Blog

Wednesday 20 July 2011

My Sister - a Photography Project

Ok, so I’m going to take a risk and begin with one of my recent photography projects. It's very personal to me and it's a pretty touchy subject – but I believe blogging about something un-personal to me would be pointless!

This project was an in depth insight into the relationship between my adoptive sister and myself; a kind of story book of recent moments where I spent time with her in her flat, around the town and with her baby. The project is an emotional insight into the relationship and the impact it has had on my life. To connect somebody to a relationship which they have no connection to is powerful, and it is in this way that I would like my insight into mine and my sister’s relationship to connect the viewer who is not connected through the words that play along with the images.
The project draws inspiration from photographers such as Sally Mann, Richard Billingham and Phillip Toledano.
Although the information on this project is very limited and it would take a read through of the project book to understand it completely, I welcome any constructive criticism to further improve my work.



My Sister - A Photography Project


It’s been a long time since we talked in depth about our feelings.

I told her I was angry at how her life choices have affected the way her daughter will be brought up. I told her I was disappointed that social services have taken a niece off me, she got very upset.



My sister smokes like a chimney, she knows that I hate it but I think she does it in front of me just to annoy me.

Sometimes when she does smoke in front of me she admits she doesn’t like it, but doesn’t want to stop, this confuses me.



It’s been a long time since we laughed together, but on this occasion we had to.




Donna noticed a man wearing a rather funny looking pair of leggings and pointed him out, we both found it amusing. I had a choice, do I capture the amusing moment or do I capture a rare smile from my sister?




I chose her smile.

Another smile surfaced from my sister’s face as she showed off her rather ugly dungarees. 

I have never liked her dress sense and I told her I did not like her dungarees, but she always finds a moment to show her outfits off.


Donna's new kitten, can't remember the name - was terrified of me.

It was amusing when Donna got the hoover out and the kitten ran away, it momentarily distracted us.

Donna’s flat was full of her daughter’s things – pictures, certificates, footprints.

It made me feel uncomfortable looking at it all, it’s like Donna is keeping a trace of a person who was never there, Rihanna was taken by social services before Donna had left the hospital, it freaks me out when she has a sort of shrine for her around the flat.


2 comments:

  1. That is really quite moving Tess, I can empathise with you over the relationships with our siblings especially for those of us who are adopted, but I do believe that one day your sister will remember the love of her adopted family and come back to you and hopefully you will all be also reunited with baby Rhianna. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very insightful, looks to be the makings of a very good photographic project if you take this further.

    ReplyDelete