Search This Blog

Saturday 23 July 2011

Infra Red?


Just a quick one today, being a Saturday an all!

Last autumn I went out for the day (ok I know that doesn’t sound too exciting but keep reading anyway...), with my camera to a little park called Etherow. It was massively sunny and I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to try out my Infra Red filter. I’d never really thought about trying out anything like it before, I don’t like the thought of nothing turning out right, that’s why I’m scared of trying film cameras! haha...but I tried it none the less. 

This particular filter was the cheapest one I could find on eBay. The reason being if I liked it I would probably want to invest in a better one, but it would do for the time being.

I stuck the camera on a tripod and got started on some positions. I wasn’t thinking too much about this just because I was trying it out and didn’t set my expectations too high. 

I soon realised that I probably should have read up on how to use this type of filter, since its nothing like the UV filters I use. The main problem being, once the filter is on – the viewfinder is black, so no point looking really! Since this stopped the autofocus working, I found I had to take the filter off, set the camera up and focus, hold it down and stick it back on which was a pretty lengthy process!

These shots were all on 30 second exposures on F8 if I remember correctly.


Now these didn't come out of the camera like this, I'll show you what I mean:


So a bit of editing needed, but interesting none the less - maybe this year I will invest in a better filter?

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting technique, definately looks better after editing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aye, I tried getting the same results without the filter - granted they were much sharper without the 30 seconds of movement but it's just not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice effects, I might give it a try

    ReplyDelete